My guest on today’s podcast is Amy Eben. Amy is the manager and co-owner of The Travel Advantage, which is a travel agency located in Sioux Center, IA. What’s fascinating about Amy’s story is how she took what she thought would be “just a job” out of college, and how that role changed from travel agent, to co-manager, to manager, and recently taking an additional role as co-owner of The Travel Advantage.
In this episode, we talk about some of the challenges that the travel industry has faced, how they have adapted their business model and thrived during the consolidation of travel agencies. We also discuss their incentive program to reward employees for community involvement. We close the interview with Amy’s perspective of what it means to be successful and how her mindset was shifted to having a meaningful impact in any profession and the conversation that led her to a fuller understanding of how that may apply in the travel industry.
I hope you enjoy this episode of the IMPACT Podcast!
Highlights from this episode:
- The difficulties of going from an employee to a manager, especially at a young age [7:05]
- Changes in the travel industry and consolidation that has occurred [10:20]
- What the company has done to support local charities and a unique approach to encouraging employee participation at community events or being on a board [13:57]
- Definition of being successful as not just profitable, but being the best you can be in every situation and providing a work environment that employees want to go to [17:08]
- Amy’s turning point for the realization that whatever we do can have a meaningful impact [19:15]
Integrated Financial Planning, The Travel Advantage, and LPL Financial are separate entities.