My guest on today’s podcast is Shari Kastein. Shari is the CEO of the Family Crisis Centers, which is a non-profit agency located in Sioux Center, IA that provides services to victims and survivors of violence. In addition to those services, the agency received a grant in October of 2015 and now works as the statewide call center for victim services and fields roughly 25,000 calls each year. What’s captivating about Shari’s story is how she and her daughter were victims of domestic violence, and how she has used that platform to pursue a career helping others persevere through those traumatic events.
In this episode, we talk about some of the challenges of managing a rapidly growing agency and how having the proper organizational chart has led to more opportunities to serve and grow. We discuss how success in this field does not necessarily mean prevention of all violent crimes, but success can be measured by supporting and advocating for the victims to help the process of healing and restoration. We conclude the interview by discussing how Shari’s impact is largely driven by having a love and desire for what she’s trying to accomplish and staying focused on that outcome.
I hope you enjoy this episode of the IMPACT Podcast!
Highlights from this episode:
- Shari’s personal story as being a survivor of domestic violence and how her 15-month-old daughter’s abduction set a fire in her heart to be an advocate for others [9:25]
- Changes in the agency’s organizational chart to add another level of leadership as the organization grew from roughly 12 staff members to over 50 in approximately 4 years [16:04]
- Defining success as finding a gap in victim services and finding a way to help [22:07]
- “Hire the personality and the person with the greatest integrity that you want on your team, and then teach them the skills” [25:38]
- Ways to get involved with the Family Crisis Centers [28:57]
Links from this episode:
Family Crisis Centers – http://www.familycrisiscenters.org/
Melissa’s Hope Chest – http://www.familycrisiscenters.org/melissas-hope-chest.php
Wine Gala & Auction (March) – https://www.auctria.com/ev?site=08b63c41-a7d6-4443-aa8f-37c17275c7b7
Women’s EXPO (October) – http://www.siouxcenterchamber.com/womens-expo.html
Integrated Financial Planning, The Family Crisis Centers, and LPL Financial are separate entities.