My guest on today’s podcast is Alexander Hofman, who started Down to Earth Lawn Care as a part-time job while he was in high school. Through growth and acquisitions, the business has now expanded to 5 full-time employees and roughly 15 part-time employees during the summer months. What’s interesting about Alexander, though, is that all of this has been accomplished at the age of 24.
In this episode, we talk about how Alexander found his passion for lawn mowing and how the business has continued to grow. We cover some of the challenges of running a new business and what the progression was to hiring the first full-time employee. After spending much time growing up in a Bolivia, South America, Alexander brings a unique perspective to the opportunities that are present in Sioux Center and the surrounding areas that simply do not exist in other countries. We conclude the interview with Alexander’s advice of not letting money determine your passions, but working very hard to identify and use your God-given talents to have a maximum impact.
I hope you enjoy this episode of the IMPACT Podcast!
Highlights from this episode:
- Major transition point in 2013 by completing a buyout and hiring the first full-time employee [6:05]
- How he manages both full and part-time employees to empower them to do their jobs well [8:27]
- Investing in good equipment and keeping up with changes in the industry to increase efficiency [11:32]
- Defining success as: “Using your God-given talents to the fullest extent… Whatever you own or have achieved comes from God” [15:45]
- Working very hard to find what you’re passionate about and do not let money determine what your passion should be [17:20]
Links from this episode:
Integrated Financial Planning, Down to Earth Lawn Care, and LPL Financial are separate entities.